Monday, December 18, 2017

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things from 2017

Photo Credit: Pixabay


Another year is ending and I remain an un-agented writer screaming sci-fi and horror into the void. But hey, it’s Christmas time and being dark and brooding feels inappropriate even for a guy like me. So let’s talk about what went right this year. You won’t find any raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens in this post, but there were several things that brought me joy.

Family
Who else loves you no matter how much time you spend banging away at your computer keyboard? My wife who keeps me as sane as I’m likely to get, my kids who shine light into my life every day, and my parents and sister who’ve put up with me for more than four decades now... you’re the best.

Film
Blade Runner 2049, The Last Jedi, Coco, Wonder, Get Out, Atomic Blonde... every year delivers at least a half dozen highly entertaining films and 2017 was no exception. If you missed any of these gems, I highly recommend you catch them while you enjoy some well-earned time off this holiday season.

TV
As is my wont, I didn’t catch a whole lot of different shows on the small screen in 2017, but I did love Game of Thrones, Westworld, American Gods, Silicon Valley, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Stranger Things. The short seasons always leave me wanting more, but that’s certainly better than the old days of being disappointed by throw-away filler episodes. I’m looking at you Miami Vice!

Books
Sadly, I can’t say I read many new releases this year. I’m looking forward to delving into The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh, A Conjuring of Light by V. E. Schwab, and Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King, but my overloaded bookshelves demand I wait for the paperback editions to come out. In the meantime, I thoroughly enjoyed some older titles including The Peripheral and Pattern Recognition, both by William Gibson, and Revival by Stephen King.

Spirits
Yep, when you’re living in a country with political leaders like we’ve got, alcohol is a must. I indulged in my usual favorites of Herradura and Cazadores tequila, Grey Goose and Ketel One vodka, and Tanqueray Gin, but I also discovered Milagro and Casamigos tequilas. If you feel the need to get your drink on, these are the brands I recommend.

Travel
I kicked the year off celebrating in Savannah, Georgia. We hit the beach in Fort Walton and Navarre, Florida for Spring Break. I thoroughly enjoyed a week and a half in Costa Rica over the summer then followed that up with a long weekend in Nashville. The older I get, the more I learn the value of experience over material objects. See the world while you can!

Home
Sure, traveling the world is great, but so is coming home to a fantastic house. We moved into our new digs in June and I couldn’t be more pleased. The kids love their school, we have friendly neighbors, and this house is actually big enough to throw parties in. Did I mention I like to drink?

Readers
And finally, one my favorite things remains my readers. You may still be small in number, but you’re a huge inspiration. You keep me writing even when the demons of doubt come sniffing around in the form of Amazon sales reports and rejection letters. I’ll keep writing stories as long as you keep reading them!



No comments:

Post a Comment