Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Writing a Short Story That Will Sell

 

Image Credit: Pixabay


The majority of my blog posts are opinion pieces but I’ve been hesitant to give writing advice, because let’s be honest, who the hell am I to give writing advice? I still don’t have an agent or a publishing deal. I don't know about you, but I tend to roll my eyes at so called experts explaining things to me when I’ve never heard of them. That said, I have written and sold my share of short stories. Over the past six years I’ve written around two dozen shorts and sold 15 of them. To be sure, there are more prolific short story writers, more talented short story writers, and more prestigious magazines than the ones I have been published in, but I do know something of the topic I am about to write. So with all that said if you’re new to writing and/or selling short stories I hope the advice below offers some assistance.

Avoid clichés

There are a million story ideas you might come up with, but some of them have already been done a million times. Editors know this better than anyone. They’ve had to slog through those same/similar stories again and again. Boring! Editors want something unique. They want a new spin on that old tale, something that will intrigue the audience. Not sure which stories are particularly stale? Strange Horizons provides a handy list of Don’ts for those of you who write sci-fi or horror. I bet you can find similar lists on other leading literary sites.

 

Hook them early

The first two sentences of your story often make or break you. Editors’ slush piles tend to be large so their patience is often limited. If you make them wade through paragraphs of exposition before they get to the good stuff, chances are, they’ll pass on your story. Furthermore, many sites only provide a sentence or two of preview on the main page, hiding the rest of the story behind a link in order to make the best use of valuable site real estate. So even if the site purchases your story, if your first sentence or two doesn’t hook the reader, guess what? The reader never clicks the link to read the rest of the story. Want some examples of some great opening hooks? Try this one and several of these.

 

Create a story arc

Every short story, whether it’s a 10,000 word tale or nano fiction needs a solid plot and/or a character that changes. I wrote about this in more detail recently here. In short, entropy = death. Short stories aren’t just scenes, but tales that need a beginning, a middle, and an end. The reader needs to be taken on a journey of some sort. It doesn’t matter how interesting your setting or character is if nothing happens to engage the reader.

 

Stick the landing

Okay, you’ve chosen an interesting story to tell; it’s got a strong opening to get the reader’s attention, and it includes an arc from beginning to end. What’s left? You need an ending that’s at least somewhat unpredictable and more important, one that’s memorable. The best stories make us think and stick with us long after we’re done reading them. If the reader sees the ending coming long before it arrives, it won’t pack much of a punch. If the ending feels too much like an ending the reader has read before in other stories, same result. Want an example of a perfect 10 landing? Try The Egg by Andy Weir.

 

Know the market

Finally, your story is done. You’ve written it, edited it, reread it more times than you care to admit, and it checks all the boxes above. Now you want to sell it, but how? You need to research paying markets, make yourself a list, and become familiar with what they're looking for. Submit often and don’t get discouraged by rejection. We ALL get rejected. One of my stories was rejected 17 times before I found a buyer. Keep trying. I keep three separate lists on my hard drive, horror, sci-fi, and literary. I update them monthly as sites are born and die. To start your own lists, I recommend beginning your research with The Grinder for a wide variety of markets and Dark Markets which focuses specifically on horror.

 

Good luck and if you have questions, feel free to post them below in the Comments section!


No comments:

Post a Comment