Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Books as Testicle Salve

Photo Credit: Pixabay

Admit it. You clicked the link to read this post because of the word “testicle”. It’s okay. It’s a funny word. It’s a funny-looking part of the anatomy. However I didn’t just use it in the title to get your attention. It really does relate to the topic I want to write about.

Life has a way of kicking you in the balls (figuratively if not literally) on a fairly routine basis. You receive an unexpected bill you don’t know how you’re going to pay. You make plans to do something special and they fall through at the last minute. You get in a fight with your significant other over something dumb. You get passed over for a promotion at work… It happens to everyone.

They say time heals all wounds and I suppose that’s at least mostly true, but time takes time doesn’t it? Patience is a virtue in short supply. I find what helps at least soothe those wounds in the short term is distraction. If you aren’t thinking about the fact you’re going to be eating Ramen noodles for the next two weeks in order to pay for that radiator leak or that your boss has the communication skills of a stutterer with Tourette’s and the honesty of Donald Trump, then you’re less likely to suffer from those unpleasant realities.

Some people choose bad distractions. Tequila is one of my favorite vices, but drinking it to forget… not a good idea. What I’ve found to be a great distraction is a good book. TV shows are too short and typically too stupid to keep me entertained. Movies are much better, but also not cheap if you’re going to the theater and they’re only two hours a pop. Video games are fun but I’ve found they hold less of my attention than they did when I was younger. A good book… we’re talking days of distraction for less than 10 bucks. A good book sucks you in. It expands your imagination. It takes you away from whatever you have to deal with in the real world and lets you explore an entirely different reality.


I recently took a hard figurative shot to the nuts in my own life. Keeping my nose in a book has helped distract my mind from the ache. For any of you that don’t read regularly, I encourage you to pick up a book that piques your interest and try again. For all of those of you that do read regularly, you know what I’m talking about. Life sometimes lets you down. I’ve found that good books never do.



No comments:

Post a Comment