Thursday, August 18, 2016

Storm Orphans: Patient Zero

Photo Credit: AP/KCBS TV

In February 2011 a young, seemingly healthy Los Angeles television reporter named Serene Branson uttered approximately 20 seconds of pure gibberish when she attempted to do a live segment outside the Grammys. Many viewers worried she was having a stroke, but doctors later diagnosed the incident as a “complex migraine”. Her story has a happy ending since she was soon back on the job and continues to work as a reporter for CBS2/KCAL9 to this day. But the oddity of this brief medical mystery inspired me. My imagination grabbed hold of this image of a pretty, blonde TV personality losing it on air and spun it into the start of a worldwide plague that became the main theme of my debut novel, Storm Orphans.

In my book, the reporter’s malady wasn’t an embarrassing but one-time loss of coherence. She was patient zero in a bio-engineered government conspiracy gone awry. Within a couple of years, almost everyone on the planet was dead or mutated into a murderous zombie as a result of their brains being turned to mush by chemicals spread via drinking water contamination and chemtrails.

There’s obviously plenty of sci-fi mumbo-jumbo involved in that fictional leap, but the story appealed to me based on that real-life incident jumpstart. The most powerful tales are those built on at least a kernel of truth. I’m glad Ms. Branson’s reality is a much happier one than what I imagined, but I’m also thankful I got a chance to see her brief moment of crisis. She inspired an entire book!

If you’re interested in keeping up with the latest on Ms. Branson, you can follow her on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/SereneOnScene




No comments:

Post a Comment