Saturday, May 28, 2016

What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?



How many times does a child get asked “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I just attended my eldest son’s fifth grade graduation ceremony the other day (yes, that’s really a thing) and apparently each student was asked this very question so that the teacher could announce these grand dreams as the 11-year-olds came up to receive their certificates. What struck me wasn’t that not a single one of them aspired to be a gas station clerk, a grocery store manager, a garbage collector, or a plumber. Let’s be honest, while those professions might pay the bills, none of them is particularly glamorous. What hit me is that none of them wanted to be a banker, a lawyer, or a hedge fund manager either. In short, they dreamt of fulfillment and sometimes fame, but not riches.

Call me biased, but as I thought about it, it made sense. I was hard pressed to come up with any reasons why those quite lucrative fields would appeal to a fifth grader. Earning an oft staggering income by betting other people’s money might sound good to an adult, but to a kid? Not so much. Charging absorbent rates on inflated hours while you sift through precedent case rulings and file motions with the court? Sure, it’ll probably get you that posh house on the best side of town, but it doesn’t sound like a lot of fun.

These kids wanted to be architects, teachers, artists, and game designers. Many of them wanted to join the military or become police officers. Three of them have their hearts set on being a future President of the United States. In short, they want to create something or give back to the community. They aren’t focused on making a paycheck; they’re focused on making a mark.

As I left the ceremony, duly proud of my honor roll student, I was reminded again of why I write. No, it doesn’t pay the bills. I develop corporate software in order to do that. But it fulfills another need. It provides an outlet. It gives me a chance to create, to leave something behind for others to discover and enjoy. It allows me to do what I always wanted to do when I grow up. Not that I intend to grow up anytime soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment